Jo Wu is an author born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, where she studied Biology and Creative Writing at UC Berkeley. Her works explore fairy tales, Chinese and Taiwanese mythology and identity, gothic tropes, and uplifting narratives. Some of her notable works have been published in Uncanny Magazine, Insignia 2020: Best Asian Fantasy Stories, and People of Color Destroy Lovecraft. Her short story, “Devoured by Envy,” was praised by Publishers Weekly as “the most Gothic of the successful stories” from the gothic romance anthology Darker Edge of Desire.
When writing, she can be found accompanied by a plethora of goth mugs constantly refilled with green tea, while blasting a mix of metal and orchestral scores. When she is not writing, she will be sewing her next costume, deadlifting her next powerlifting goal, and auditioning for voiceover gigs.
Jo is proudly represented by Tricia Lawrence of Erin Murphy Literary Agency.
5 Fun Facts:
- Models, cosplays, and acts under the alias Carmilla Jo.
- Her first publication was during high school, in the comic anthology Gothology: Misery Loves Company
- Her best pull-up reps at the time of this writing is 12.
- The nickname “Vampire” has followed her since middle school, and a manager at one of her day jobs in her adult life nicknamed her “Vampire” without knowing she’s been called that before!
- Won’t shut up about the TV show Samurai Jack ever since it debuted on Cartoon Network in 2001. If you bring up Samurai Jack, she will talk your ear off.