Do you have an agent?
I am proud to be represented by Tricia Lawrence of Erin Murphy Literary Agency
Name 10 of your favorite books
- Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley
- Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke
- Ella Enchanted, by Gail Carson Levine
- The Ghost Bride, by Yangsze Choo
- Deathless, by Catherynne M. Valente
- The Paper Menagerie, by Ken Liu
- A Certain Slant of Light, by Laura Whitcomb
- The Time Traveler’s Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger
- Tipping the Velvet, by Sarah Waters
- A Series of Unfortunate Events, by Lemony Snicket
If you’ve written 5 novels already, how come you haven’t published any of them?
The first 2 were written when I was in middle school. I think you can guess why.
The third was in high school. That was a mess.
The fourth was in college, and although it got 4 full requests, it was a good learning experience. The fifth was also in college, which I consider my strongest, but it dealt with very sensitive issues and is currently shelved. When I go back to read it, I feel like throwing up. That’s how bad it was.
Where does your inspiration come from?
It’s unpredictable. It can be from images I stumble across on Pinterest and Tumblr, music I listen to, facts from my history and science textbooks, people I have interacted with, the works of other writers and visual artists, etc. Sometimes I see interesting things or jot down ideas and store them away for later. I’m quite a pack rat, both a blessing and a curse.
Why are your social media handles all so inconsistent?
Yes, I’m very aware I have committed a grave social media sin: I use different handles on different social media channels. To make matters confusing, I have two names I go by in public: Jo Wu (my author and real-life name) and Carmilla Jo (my model/cosplay/acting stage name).
Here’s where I’m most active: